Mittwoch, 22. Januar 2014

Home is where IKEA is..



Strandmon. Söderhamn. Köttbullar 

why I ♥ IKEA


In every country I lived, which has been quite a few, nothing reminds me more of HOME than visiting an IKEA store. The distinctive smell of flat packs, wood, scented candles and meatballs. It seems to have the exact same feel about it, no matter where in the world you are. Yes, there are slight differences: In Germany you get as much Cranberry Sauce as you like. In Dubai they have a slightly different style of furniture on display to meet the local taste (the strangely large variety of floor length skirts in Zara in Dubai is comparable I guess - in some way). Australia has very basic range of hotdog toppings. In Delft all the tags are in Dutch and in English and the customer service is incredibly fast and helpful - they don't have salads in the restaurant though.
But in any case: IKEA is my remedy. It cures homesickness like nothing else. Not only does it help to think about home, it also supplies me with everything I need to create a new home. In any part of the world. 

A few pics of our new home in Leiden, The Netherlands:

Living Room


Favourite Magazines & Books. Frankie. Neon. Ikea Family
Malm Chest of Drawers (no longer available in this colour)

Strandmon Chair. Hectar Lamp. 
Vallen TV Bench (we don't have a TV yet...but Ikea sells TVs...food for thought)


Dining Area

Trendig Dining Table.  Sigurd Bench. Sigurd Chair. Jara Lamp Shade. Bertil Cushion on Bench. 

Kitchen

Groland Work Bench. Lagan Fridge. Moppe Mini-Chest-of-Drawers. 

Frosta Stool. 

 Other...

Ludde Rug.

Bertil Cushion.

Ivar Shelf.  Merete Curtains.  Hugard Curtain Poles used as clothes rail.
Bekvam Step-Stool.  

My little helper: my pink toolbox...
(Christmas gift from my cool sister (who is a carpenter...just saying!))


I see IKEA as a life-enhancing store. It makes things easier, prettier and is really the only store in the world I can think of, where I find that kind of value-for-money. My ex-boss in Australia thought I was stupid when I told him I go to IKEA...again...even though I didn't need anything. Yes, it can be stressful to go there. On a Saturday. During school holidays. Having to find my whole interior and then some. But that is not what I do. I do "recon" as my partner calls it. I get a coffee and stroll through the display. Get inspiration. Write down measurements. Write down shelf numbers and aisles. I mainly know all of my furniture by name - which helps when I can't find it in the large self-service area. When it is time to get to it: grab a partner in crime (in my case my dad - who is my DIY-Rolemodel), reserve what you need for pick up, hire a free (!) van and do it. Don't be disheartened by the thought of having to build it all yourself. It is so easy... and did you know they sell fridges? If I could I would buy a car there, too. That is how much I love Ikea... and everything behind the brand... thanks Ikea for making me feel home wherever I live. Home is where IKEA is.

P.s.: Guess what's for dinner? That's right: Ikea meatballs...straight from the freezer section of my Ikea fridge. 

"your flat looks like an IKEA catalogue!" - my friend Shelley on Facebook


Mixing IKEA with Souvenirs, Thrift Shop Finds and DIY Things


I love that our apartment looks like an IKEA catalogue because - newsflash - I love IKEA catalogues. However, nothing worse than a stock standard look that has no personal touch. So here are a few of my favourite things from all over the world.
And yes: I have a thing for houses and clouds...

Knitted House Pillow. House Candle Holder.

Cloud Pillow. Pillow with pattern

Tissue Box House. Candle Holder House.

Wooden Candle Holder. Little Houses.

Cloud Clothes hanger. 
Framed MELBOURNE Teatowel. Hanging Planter


more to come soon... xx Ameli 










Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen